On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 02:11:10PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First, trust me. I'm really seriously interested in understanding the
> potential of this.

There are two aspects to how most modern power-off buttons work:

1) They send a signal that software can detect.

2) They cause the BIOS to shut off the machine.

Most systems are configured so that you need to hold down the button for
several seconds for action #2. The 4-second thing people have talked
about here isn't that the power-off happens 4 seconds after you press
the button - it's that you have to hold the button down for 4 seconds
or nothing happens.

The purpose of action #2 is to shut down a machine that refuses to turn
off because it's wedged or otherwise incapable of shutting itself down

Nathan Meyers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]