Exactly - have you have been around gentoo long enough to remember the
elegantly simple -u and -U mechanism we used to have to control
upgrade/downgrade.  Instead we have a bunch of files that were initially
poorly documented (when this was released), and in practise for me at
least, are a backward step in application and use.

Maybe its harking back to simpler days, but this is a change that broke
a system for me, caused a lot of wasted time, and seems a needless
complication to a simple system.

BillK