This will probably stir up some flames, but:

the package.keywords system sucks

1. you put things in there and you forget about them
2. extra work for no user gain over the old system (I know the old
system is broke, but from what I agther it was broken on purpose to
create the package.keyword system.)
3. more complex than the simple system it replaced - it is now quite
hard to work out the interactions sometimes
4. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS seems to work well for a half doz or so ~x86 packages

I will probably have to use them next time I rebuild world with a -e,
but after stuffing things up over a couple of months with the
package.keywords and related files, wasting time trying find whats gone
wrong, I am better off doing the ACCEPT keywords kludge and getting on
with actually using the system.  At least when you do an update, you SEE
what is ~x86, not have it hidden away in the depths building up
problems.

Maybe a bad gentooer, but at least I am happy that I am doing things in
a way that I understand, and works the way I want it to!

BillK