On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:15:53 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:

> You are on the right track.  10G should be good enough for most system
> partitions, just keep on eye on /usr/portage/distfiles to make sure it
> doesn't consume all of the space on your root volume.

Or use a different directory, the location can be changed in
/etc/make.conf.

> I would also suggest making a /var partition or LVM volume of 2-5GB.
> /var serves as the gentoo build space, as well as temporary file space.
> Thus the /var directory will experience a lot of file creations,
> modifications, and deletions, so it is best to keep it isolated from the
> rest of the system to cut down on fragmentation.

Once again, you can point PORTAGE_TMPDIR to wherever you want. I have a
large partition I use for things like building ISO images, intermediate
video file and suchlike and have PORTAGE_TMPDIR set to a directory on this
partition.

> [Slightly Off Topic]
> With the current journaled filesystems for linux, it really doesn't make
> sense to talk about 'data-integrity'.  Corrupted files are just as
> possible on reiserfs, xfs, jfs, and ext3 as they were on ext2.  This is
> because, AFAIK, all of the current filesystems journal the filesystem
> meta-data only, so if the system crashes, the filesystem can repair
> itself.  The filesystem makes no guarantees about repairing the files it
> contains.  Reiser4 is one of the first to attempt file data journaling
> as well, but AFAICT, it is still fairly unstable.

ext3 also has an option to journal the data, but there's a significant
performance hit.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh as he farted in front of a badly placed candle