Neil Bothwick wrote:

>Once again, you can point PORTAGE_TMPDIR to wherever you want. I have a
>large partition I use for things like building ISO images, intermediate
>video file and suchlike and have PORTAGE_TMPDIR set to a directory on this
>partition.

Yes, configuring portage for your needs is good advice.  My point is
mostly that you want to keep 'temporary' files and 'permanent' files
separated.  Same goal, different method.   I still think you want /var
to be a separate partition, but it could be smaller in that case, maybe
1-2G.  Just keep in mind that /usr/tmp is a link to /var/tmp, and many
applications that use /usr/tmp expect a virtually unlimited amount of
disk space to be available.

>>[Slightly Off Topic]
>>With the current journaled filesystems for linux, it really doesn't make
>>sense to talk about 'data-integrity'.  Corrupted files are just as
>>

>ext3 also has an option to journal the data, but there's a significant
>performance hit.

Thanks...good to know.  I have never used ext3, so my knowledge about it
is quite limited.

-Richard