On 5/13/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry, that should have read "should not be in world..."

OK, that helps.

> > > with the result that if
> > > you uninstall the package that required them in the first place, they
> > > will remain as useless cruft on your system and not be cleaned out by
> > > emerge depclean.
> >
> > ???
>
> For example. You emerge someprog, which has a dependency for somelib, so
> emerge install both packages but only adds someprog to world. Then you
> decide that you don't want someprog so you unmerge it, but somelib is
> still there, even though nothing else requires it. Normally, emerge
> depclean -p will show that somelib needs to be removed, but emerging
> updates the way you suggest could result in it being in your world file,
> so it will be considered as necessary to your system, even though the
> only function it now fulfils is taking up hard disk space (and possibly
> providing a security risk).

OK, using disk space I understand. Even taking up time and making
emerge world longer I understand. How an unused library causes a
possible security risk is beyond me but I'll accept it's a possibility
for the sake of making forward progress.

> > > If you want to pick individual packages from "emerge -upv world" for
> > > merging, merge them with the --oneshot argument to prevent them being
> > > added to world.
>
> > Humm....OK, or go back once in awhile and clean up your world file by
> > hand.
>
> Assuming you can remember which files you do and don't want, out of the
> hundreds of extra lines you end up with in world. Trust me, I learned
> this the hard way and spent some time cleaning things up. If you want to
> do things the hard way, that's up to you - Gentoo is about choice :)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just faced with what's happening
this morning. emerge world had 6 things it wanted to update. One of
them (MythTV) is running right now. Running emerge world would result
in MythTV files being changed while the program is operating. I don't
think that seems like a safe thing to do so I don't want that one. I
emerge the other 5 by hand.

Granted, I think about your point as I do so. I'm not overly bothered
by the disk space issue, or even to a great extent the time to compile
issue. The basis of your argument is that I'm installing and
uninstalling apps which doesn't happen much here. Stuff goes on, it
doesn't much come off.

If I use only emerge world then I have to wait until the machine is
idle and unneeded for long periods of time. I cannot know that with
any certainty when the machine is 400 miles away...

> But you really shouldn't recommend this sort of bad practice to others
> without at least warning them first.

Mea culpa. If I'd known that someone considered it bad practice I most
likely wouldn't have. In this case I do (personally) still think it's
about choice. I've never run emerge --depclean. The warnings are too
severe. The man page is too scary. I won't touch it so I would imagine
there are others like me too. For those of us that won't run depclean
I think there is not real downside to doing this, but maybe I'm
missing some finer point.

> The world file is a powerful concept in portage, if used correctly,.
> Filling it up with a list of all installed packages completely negates
> its usefulness.

Completely negates? No, not hardly. Reduces? Most possibly, but I do
not see a way to update my machines otherwise. I get that this is
probably just me.

cheers,
Mark