Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:18:22 +0100, Russ Brown wrote:
>

>>Say I run emerge -pvD world, and ten packages pop out.
>>
>>I look at the list and decide that I want to emerge all but one of the
>>things on the list.
>>
>>How do I go about this without running an emerge command with nine
>>packages passed to emerge, and causing the world file pollution
>>described in this thread?
>

> emerge --oneshot package1 package2...

Aha! So the rule is, whenever I selectively emerge a list of packages
returned by emerge -pvD world, I should always do the emerges with the
--oneshot switch? I suppose the packages that are already in the world
file won't be removed by that command, and the ones that aren't in the
world file don't get added to it.

If so, that makes sense and makes me happy. Still means I have a really
messy world file though. :-)

Thanks for that!

--

Russ