On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 17:09 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
> >
> > I wasn't clear, the computer runs usually for 20 to 30minus and kernel
> > panic comes up on the screen.  I'm still googling for some solutions and
> > I can only find some suggestion; no clear answer.
> >
> > I think I went too fast for AMD64; I should have stayed with x86 and old
> > good IDE drive.
> > Somebody suggested: "Enabling 32 bit mode for the drives in the BIOS to
> > cure this problem."  I'll check my Bios the next time it will crash :-/
> >

> If the only problem is the sata controller then you can try
> interfacing your hard drive some other way until the sata driver
> situation clears up.
>
> I actually boot my system off of a 3.5" hard drive that's in an
> external usb 2.0 enclosure.  That way I can plug into practically any
> computer and have my complete gentoo system!  I've even though about
> buying USB 2.0/IDE bridges for internal use (rather than for an
> external enclosure) because they are inexpensive and allow for hot
> swapping.

I was browsing the net and I've noticed that a lot of people are getting
similar error and a lot of them mentioned SCSI drive.  I happened with
back to kernel 2.4 and 1999 year so it could be related to SCSI driver,
not sure about it.

I've taken the cover off to allow more air into the box (most of my
other boxes run without any covers).  If I still get that error:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler.

I'll buy an IDE drive and put this SATA drive on a shelve, and see if
will make a difference.

--
#Joseph