On 7/24/2010 3:25 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Saturday 24 July 2010 21:57:38 KH wrote:
Hi there,

my server was running strait for 8 month now. I did updates regularly
but still used an 2.6.2x kernel. Never switched it of. Now someone from
houskeeping pulled the plug for the vacuum cleaner ...

Anyway the box won't boot anymore. grub starts up. Kernel boots. Then
there is checking root file system (or something like that).The message
is that my ext2 file system can not be read. That I might want to try
the alternativ superblock by running #e2fsck -b 8193<device>

Well, I put the hdd in an external usb and conected it to my
workstation. As I thought hda3 (is /dev/sde3) is an ext3 filesystem.
Also badblocks and e2fsck did not show any problem with the hdd.

/etc/fstab is corect (i hope), too.

What am I missing? How can I get the server running, again?

You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?

Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the journal
and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not the 40 minutes it
takes to do a ful ext2 check.

I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way to do
this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe an ext user
will chip in with the correct method

Run e2fsck -f /dev/hda3 to force check a partition. I have had to do that when my kids yanked all the drives out of a server that I was setting up. :-)
--
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.