On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-u...@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:

> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
> change anything.
> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
> /dev/sd*
>
> Any ideas?

KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.

PS.  When you install GRUB use tab completion to see what's available
and make sure you install it in the correct drive/partition.

PPS.  Peter, I installed the kernel option for [*] ATA SFF support and
corresponding chipset (ICH) for my P4 and it now boots fine.  So I
suggest that you use lshw to find which chipset you must activate
under ATA SFF (unless you have one of the more modern <*>   AHCI SATA
support controllers like I have on my i7 Dell).
--
Regards,
Mick