On 07/28/2010 06:42 AM, Mick wrote:
> On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-u...@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
>
>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>> change anything.
>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>> /dev/sd*
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.

But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
back.

Konstantin, I'm assuming, from your original post, that you have not
changed your kernel in any way over the last few months. You said that
it was running fine for eight months but now after rebooting, you're in
trouble. Are you *sure* you haven't made any changes to the kernel? I'm
also assuming that you know that the kernel drivers for your disk
controllers should not be built as modules but built into the kernel so
that you don't need to go through creating an initramfs and hoping for
your devices to get populated.