On 09/19/10 09:22, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
> On 18 September 2010 15:14, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it just me?  Or does Firefox get slower every release?  And less stable.
>
> Indeed. But FF4 is *much* faster. And much more stable. At least, that
> was my experience when I tried it out. I had to go back to 3.6 because
> some of the plugins that I need were not yet supported for FF4. At
> least the later 3.6 releases aren't as unstable as the previous ones.

Firefox 4 indeed is smoother (probably due to the new animations,
probably because none of the plugins I used are compatible yet, but
maybe it is just faster); but it is definitely more memory hungrier than
before. In Fx3, it usually took around ~20-25% of my 1GB RAM and that's
with opening a bunch lot of pages; Fx4 generally takes around ~25-30%.

While taking 30% of my RAM is fine when I'm not multitasking, the main
problem is I am always multitasking. With Thunderbird taking another
15-20%, emerge ranging from 5-30%, and X about 5-10%, my computer is
becoming unbearably slow when memory starved.

I've been thinking about adding -Os (optimize-size) to my CFLAGS, does
anyone knows if doing that will possibly bring down memory usage and
speed up the computer?