walt wrote:
On 11/08/2010 01:20 PM, Dale wrote:
Dale wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I figure something worked for a while and then had some sort of a error and then switched to something else that was slow. I don't know the inner workings of opengl so I am just guessing.I just know it worked for a while
then didn't until I told it to switch again. It is weird tho.

I did do this last night tho. I upgraded my kernel and updated to the latest nvidia drivers. I checked it again a few minutes ago by playing a video and it is still working like it should. At almost full screen my CPU was running at about 40 to 50% which is about like it was a while back. So, I figure it was either some sort of kernel issue or even more likely a nvidia driver issue.

I'm just hoping it keeps working like this. Those little wheels are turning pretty good now.

Dale

:-) :-)

Well, I worked on my air compressor and played in the dirt in my garden for a while and now I get this again:

2 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.263 FPS
2 frames in 7.7 seconds = 0.259 FPS

Is it possible that something slowly fills up RAM so your system has to
start swapping?

KDE used to have a 'system monitor' thingy that displays usage of all the
various system resources like RAM and swap and CPU.  I always have the
equivalent gnome applet displayed on the gnome panel and it's alerted me
to countless similar bugs over the years.

According to top, gkrellm and cat /proc/meminfo there is no swap in use. I have 2Gbs of ram and have swappiness set to 20 or 30. I rarely use swap unless I am compiling something huge, OOo comes to mind, or have a LOT of images open with GIMP.

I did check to make sure tho. My swappiness did get magically changed once before. I wish it was something that easy tho.

Still open to ideas.  I started a emerge -e world.

Dale

:-)  :-)