On 11/16/10 21:45, Dale wrote:

[snip]
The BIOS sees both HD but, boot sector is working OK as grub comes up
but then I get a message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
0300  4191302 hda driver: ide-cdrom

So it seems kernel does not see the sata drives, but how it is
possible? Boot partition is on sda

Someone suggested that BIOS is seeing different logical layout of
cylinders/ heads.
In BIOS setup there a choice of IDE mode, AHCI mode, etc

It sounds to me like you don't have the drivers for the chipset.  If you
leave those out or they are modules, it can't see the drives.

Keep in mind, just because grub sees the drives does not mean the kernel
does.  They are two separate things.  Grub only passes info on to the
kernel.  Once you select what you want to boot, grub is out of the picture.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Thanks for the hint.
What should I look for? I think "lspci" list some chipset, MCP51 but kernel is not listing anything on MCP51

--
Joseph