Joseph wrote:
On 11/16/10 22:40, Dale wrote:

Thanks for the hint.
What should I look for? I think "lspci" list some chipset, MCP51 but
kernel is not listing anything on MCP51

Try lspci -k from the CD.  That should tell you what driver the CD is
using.  Then while in the kernel config, just look for that driver.  If
in menuconfig, try the question mark key.  Then type in the name of the
driver and it should show you where it is exactly.

Most CDs use the old IDE drivers so you may have to try this site:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

That should list all the drivers you need for your hardware.  Details on
the site as to what to post there.  Neat site too.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Thank you, I run lspci -n retyping all the numbers manually :-/ on
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

So now system boots but I can not seem to the network card going.
On the "lspci -k" I think you mean lspci -nn (there is no switch -k)

Anyhow, "dmesg |grep eth" shows:
forcedeth 0000:00:14.0 ifname eth0, PHY OUI  addr. 00:17:31:83:a1:53
udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1

Any idea why is it renaming network interface?
I have forcedeth loaded in the kernel but it is not bringing it up :-(

The man page shows a -k switch here so maybe what you are booting has a older version or something.

-k Show kernel drivers handling each device and also kernel modules capable of handling it. Turned on by default when -v is given in the normal mode of output. (Currently works only on Linux with
              kernel 2.6 or newer.)

It appears udev is renaming the network card so I would check the udev rules. They are usually in /etc/udev/rules.d and I think it starts from the higher numbers and works its way down.

I'm not much of a expert on udev.

Dale

:-)  :-)