On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:44:49 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> john wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:57:11 -0500
> > Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> Since the sticks work in other systems, they SHOULD be ok.  Then it
> >> becomes a hardware issue.  If they work in a OS then it makes me
> >> wonder if there is something about the BIOS itself.  Maybe the BIOS
> >> has a issue that only affects it when it is being booted from.
> >>
> >> Just my weird thinking.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> > 2.6.36 works fine
> > 2.6.38-r6/r7 panic
> >
> > Have noticed that using device drivers as modules allows
> > me to boot with memory stick already inserted. This previously
> > would not work. But the problem still occurs when stick is hot
> > plugged.
> >
> > So the issue is half solved???? At least I can access memory stick.
> > So thanks there.
> >
> > Will try Vanilla sources tonight and report bug to lkml.
> >
> > BIOS is latest standard. SO can't upgrade there
> >

> We know how hard it is to fix a flakey problem.  It could be anything
> or it could be the half asleep geek in the chair.  That last one gets
> me a LOT.  ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Ok the half 10th of geek has finally found the issue (I think)

Tried vanilla sources 2.6.38-r7 still the problem occurs

Tried vanilla sources 2.6.39 - had no keyboard support at all.
Got to loogn prompt but could not write and no sysreq.

Went to work and borrowed an old keyboard with old style attchement
(can't remember what these are called but they have purple ends - serial
ps/2??)

No issues with any version of any kernels plugging in usb sticks.
Include gentoo and vanilla.

I have a roccat keyboard (which I guess is fairly exotic). This is
somehow causing the problem. How I'm not sure.

Using a standard keybaord and no problem.

So if anyone comes across this problem I recommend try a nother
keyboard.

Will try studying all options in kernel to see if I can cure this.
There are roccat options but these are for macros and don't help. But
there maybe more other subtle ones available.

Regards

Thanks for your help
--