On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:20:48 +0200
meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> john <j...@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk> [11-06-12 20:52]:
> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:45:38 +0200
> > meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > > john <j...@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk> [11-06-12 16:36]:

> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > may be this could help to track th eerror more closely:
> > > Recompile the kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG set.
> > > If not already done, enable CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ and
> > > read about the available commands in the according
> > > docs under /usr/src/linux/Documentation/.
> > > This is a overall life saver in many other cases too.
> > > But it may be a security hole also -- you can disable
> > > it in /proc/ later.
> > > If possible change /etc/fstab to mount the partition
> > > to which logging will go with the "sync" option so
> > > every log entry will go directly onto the bare metal
> > > instead of a RAM buffer.
> > >
> > > Reboot into console mode (no X).
> > > cd to the logging directory and
> > > do a tail -f onto the logfile in question
> > >
> > > Insert the "USB stick of death" ;) and
> > > see, whether you can see anything in the
> > > tailed log.
> > >
> > > If not do the magic sysrq dance to sync hds,
> > > remount readonly and finally reboot.
> > >
> > > Take a closer look into the resulting logs.
> > >
> > > Good luck!
> > >
> > > Nevertheless have a nice weekend!
> > > Best regards,
> > > mcc
> > >

> > Thanks mmc,
> > CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ and CONFIG_USB_DEBUG set to y
> >
> > When I plug in USB device SYSREQ does not work. I have tested when
> > system is normal and all ok with SYSREQ so USB device is locking up
> > system completely.
> >
> > I have put sync in mount table but when device is inserted error log
> > is not being produced (in /var/log/messages, etc). I may end up
> > having to take a photo of error log(lol). Or there maybe some other
> > way of catching error which Gentoo gurus may advise.
> >
> > I have tried 3 memory sticks and they all lock system up. These work
> > on another PC using Arch and work on this PC dual booting with
> > Windows. I have a usb hard drive which works ok so it is a memory
> > stick only issue!!!!????
> >
> > Hmmm.
> >
> > --
> > --------------
> > --------------
> > John D Maunder
> > j...@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk
> >

> Hi John,
>
> if sysreq does not work after inserting the usbstick then the kernel
> stops working completly (the sysreq-code of the kernel is not
> entered), which seems to be that something happening on very low
> level (the problem not the sysreq-code of course... ;)
>
> Just another shot into the dark:
> Do you have modularized all usb-related stuff? This also may help to
> let the usb-sticks work correctly.
>
> Ah! Another thing: Insert the related modules into
> /etc/conf.d/modules so that they get loaded in a very early
> phase of the bootprocess.
>
> With modules loaded and with no usb-sticks as root inspect the
> [...]

Thanks Meino,
Have recompliled USB as modules (ehci-hcd, ohci-hcd and usb-storage and
load with /etc/conf.d/modules but still locks ups. Hope these are the
right ones. I'll try scsi next.

Also tried fdisk Linux file system and format ext3. But all to no avail.
Still locking up.

Have configure kernel hacking options as suggested.

Error message as follows:-

Bug: unable to handle kernel null pointer dereference at
0000000000000048

IP [<ffffffff811ddb8e>]elv_queue_empty+0x12/0x27

Oops 000 [#1] SMP

last sys file: /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/8:32/uevent

Pid: 1-, comm: ksoftirqd/1 Tainted: P 2.6.38-gentoo-r7 #4 MICRO-STAR
MS-7388

RIP 0010[<ffffffff811ddb8e7>] elv-queue_empty+0x12/0x27

From my very limited knowledge, I would suspect kernel problem (ksoft)
and irq (software interrupt perhaps). Please put me right if I'm out of
order here. I'm Linux noobie

Think I'll drop back to an older kernel to see if I'm still getting the
issue as this may elliminate hardware issue.

Unsure how to pass options to modules when loading. is this just done
through /etc/conf.d/modules

I like the error messages though Oops, RIP (someone has a sense of
humour)

Thanks for you help

At least you learn while debgging

--