On Thursday 23 June 2011 05:53:15 Dale wrote:
> Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 June 2011 18:02:39 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> But all this was mild compared to what I did yesterday. You know that
> >> notice on the console when you get sudo wrong? It says the incident
> >> "will be reported"
> >>
> >> OK. But to whom? On my shell boxes it gets reported to me. And
> >> yesterday this is what it said:
> >>
> >> <host>  : Jun 21 11:55:25 :<user>  : 1 incorrect password attempt ;
> >> TTY=pts/194 ; PWD=/some/path ; USER=root ; COMMAND=init 6
> >>
> >> 500 concurrent sessions on that box is routine, it's a major gateway
> >> server. That poor user has not recovered yet.
> >
> > You mean, he (or she) will eventually recover?
> >
> > Am curious though, why the attempt for a reboot?
>
> I was curious about that too.  I don't use sudo, I'm the only geek in
> the chair here, but I don't think I would want to reboot just because my
> typing was off.

I do use sudo for some scripts as I don't want the script to have root-access
to some of the servers and I definitely don't want to add suid-bits to random
programs.

At my home, I'm not the only one who knows his/her way around computers. But
neither of us would consider it a good idea to simply reboot a machine.

> Given what Alan runs and the amount of people it affects, I'm surprised
> it is set up that way.  Question.  You changed that behavior yet Alan?

I'm guessing Alan got that because it's not allowed with sudo. If it was, the
password-failure wouldn't have been listed.

--
Joost