2011/8/5 Matthew Finkel <matthew.fin...@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Thanasis <thana...@asyr.hopto.org> wrote:
>>
>> I noticed that chromium's code has a lot of vulnerabilities.
>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=www-client%2Fchromium
>> I suppose this is why we see so often version upgrades of it (and it's
>> not a small app to build).
>> Why is its code so, should I say prone to bugs, compared to
>> other browsers?
>>

> Firefox isn't perfect
> either https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=www-client%2Ffirefox&list_id=337885
> I think you hit the nail on the head by saying that "it's not a small app to
> build". The more code that's written increases the the chances a security
> holes will be introduced into the application.

I don't think so. It's not the raw number of source code lines which
makes it more prone to bugs. I think that a closer and more realistic
number would be the number of lines divided by the number of full-time
developers, and don't forget to put in the middle of that formula how
skilled they are. Having that into account, chromium has a good base
since few teams in the planet will have the quantity and quality of
man power that Google has to devote to this project.

> And as an internet browser, they're also susceptible to many more vectors of
> attack than most other packages. For chromium specifically, I haven't looked
> at the CVEs but I suspect many are for webkit and not just Chromium.
> Just my 2c.

The webkit branch into chromium is not the same that you can find in
any other webkit-based project. They just have a common origin, but
they are maintained separately and it is my understanding that they
have diverged enough to be considered as separate things.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella