From: Space Cake <spaceca...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:07:40
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: move to xfce and forget kde and gnome

On 2011. aug. 19., péntek, 14.54.40 CEST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 08/19/2011 03:02 PM, Space Cake wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> after playing a lot with desktop environment first I've decided to move
>> from kde to gnome because kde is too "shine" and eat too much and
>> contains a lot of feature which I don't really need.. gnome is good but
>> still too fat.... so finally I've found Xfce which is perfect for my
>> needs... :)
>>
>> my question is what is the easiest way to get rid of kde/gnome stuff? is
>> this enough to change my useflags to -kde and -gnome? Is there any list
>> what I can safely unmerge in this case?
>
> You change your profile.  You can see your current profile with:
>
>   eselect profile list
>
> For KDE you would use "default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde" and for
> Gnome "default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome".
>
> For anything else, use "default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop".  Then do a:
>
>   emerge -auDN --with-bdeps=y world
>   emerge -a --depclean
>
> If KDE/Gnome stuff still remains after that, use:
>
>   emerge -pv --depclean <package>
>
> to see what's pulling-in <package>.

Are you sure that's all? No need to change my global useflags at all?
When I change profile and check what would be re-emerged, only a few
minor changes exists. What I would like to achieve to get rid of all
the fat kde/gnome stuff but of course without re install my whole
system. Is there anyone here who already did something similar?

Thank you
Laszlo