On Friday 19 August 2011 13:54:40 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> You change your profile.  You can see your current profile with:
>
>    eselect profile list
>
> For KDE you would use "default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde" and for
> Gnome "default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome".

Those are recent additions to the profiles. At any rate, I only started using
the KDE one this year.

If Laszlo has default/linux/amd64/10.0 as his profile already (that's what I
used to do), he's going to have to do an awful lot of work with USE flags. A
full re-installation may be easier in the end.

Any time I do a fresh installation, I back the whole thing up to external
disk at significant stages of the operation so that I can start again (if I
need to) from much further on.

> For anything else, use "default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop".  Then do a:
>
>    emerge -auDN --with-bdeps=y world
>    emerge -a --depclean

He may find that it doesn't make much of a change, depending on which profile
he has set now.

--
Rgds
Peter           Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23