On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 03:23:45 PM Daniel Troeder wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 01:53 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Francisco Ares writes:
> >> Is it possible to have /var in a separate partition, mounted during
> >> boot?
> >
> > This is very common. The advantage is that a process filling up the /var
> > directory (which is bad) will not fill the root partition (which would
> > be
> > worse).
>
> Just wanted to throw in, that on servers I also create a separate
> /var/log partition. Reasoning: If your logs fill up /var, than for ex.
> mysql won't be able to write anymore. So to decouple systems and
> problems even further I have /var and /var/log on separate partitions,
> hoping for higher service availability.

I actually have seperate partitions for the databases (Postgresql, OpenLdap,
cyrus,...) to avoid any service interfering with any other.

But the more seperate partitions someone has, the more of a problem this
change is going to be.
I have yet to find a filesystem that is optimal for all use-cases.

--
Joost