On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>  An answer from a different Walter <G>...
>
>> I also don't use pulse - plain ALSA is good enough for me - but looking
>> over the design goals for pulseaudio I see a decent attempt to deal
>> with audio properly for the future. These days we have computers and
>> devices that can interact with many other things in weird and
>> wonderful ways and software needs to deal with that.
>
> [...deletia...]
>
>> I just curious why you think that it's not useful to the ordinary
>> user in a generic wide way.
>
>  I'll throw the question back to you.  What specific benefits do you
> see?  Not just generalities, but real life benfits, please.

Debugging. I know which app sounds comes from, in the event that it's
ambiguous. I know whether or not I need to adjust the sound settings
within an app based on the per-app volume menu.

Mixing. Yes, I understand there's dmix. There's no obvious interface
to control per-app mixing levels. Where an app doesn't offer
individual volume control, that's sometimes useful.

These are real-life benefits for users. Maybe not you. *Nobody* can
tell you that PA is right for you, because you've rejected it and
because you're satisfied with what you have. If what you have works
for you, great. Honestly, a pure-ALSA configuration works for me right
now. Some times, it hasn't, and I've used PA at those times.

>  Sound
> daemons in general seem to be solutions in search of a problem.  And if
> they couldn't find any problems to solve, they'd make up some new ones
> of their own.  I remember the first I heard of pulseaudio was all the
> weeping and moaning of people on this forum and the GTALUG (Toronto area
> linux mailing list) trying to get sound working again after installing
> pulseaudio.
>
>  Remember arts and esd?  They went the way of HAL.  Nuff said.  The
> thing to remember is that humans cannot multitask audio very well.  Try
> listening to 2 radio stations at once, and see what I mean.

Or play a game with sound effects and music at the same time, and see
that mixing exists for a reason. (And then turn off the in-game music
and play something appropriate.)

--
:wq