On 01/26/2012 08:55 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>>  An answer from a different Walter <G>...
>>
>>> I also don't use pulse - plain ALSA is good enough for me - but looking
>>> over the design goals for pulseaudio I see a decent attempt to deal
>>> with audio properly for the future. These days we have computers and
>>> devices that can interact with many other things in weird and
>>> wonderful ways and software needs to deal with that.
>>
>> [...deletia...]
>>
>>> I just curious why you think that it's not useful to the ordinary
>>> user in a generic wide way.
>>
>>  I'll throw the question back to you.  What specific benefits do you
>> see?  Not just generalities, but real life benfits, please.
>
> Bluetooth headset,configured with two or three clicks of a mouse. And
> then reroute the sound of Skype (or whatever app) to the headset while
> nice background music still plays on the speakers.

Alan, this was what I was thinking when I wrote "useful to everyday ordinary
users", though it will never be useful to me.

The first thing I do when I hear any sound coming from a new app is do
whatever I need to do to make the fscking thing STFU.  And talking on
the phone with music playing would drive me crazy in seconds.  And I
would have to strangle any child playing a noisy game and listening to
music at the same time.  Or even separately.

So you can see I'm not the demographic the pulse devs are targeting :)