Hello, Walter.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 03:14:55AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:24:32AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote

>   Sorry, mdev is not for you, it looks like udev is a mandatory
> dependancy for lvm2.  I tried "emerge -pv lvm2" and it came back with...

> waltdnes@d530 ~ $ emerge -pv lvm2

> Calculating dependencies... done!

> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-fs/udev-151-r4" have been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> - sys-fs/udev-9999::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
> /etc/portage/package.mask:

>   I'll update my instructions to mention this.  Thanks for your help.
> Even a negative result, i.e. knowing what doesn't work, is one more
> piece of information in my quest.

It seems it's not quite as simple as that.  I've looked at it again, and
after booting (unsuccessfuly (without non-root partitions)), the devices
/dev/md-0, /dev/md-1, ........ existed.  Also existing was the directory
/dev/mapper, containing devices like /dev/mapper/vg-usr.  (They're sort
of symlinks, I think).

When I mounted all of these LVM partitions by hand, my system worked
(modulo the services which had failed to start).  So I then modified my
/etc/fstab to use /dev/mapper/vg-usr, and my system came up (almost).
What didn't work was X-Windows - when I started it, the keyboard and
mouse were dead.  (Good job the reset button still worked.)

I don't know if booting this way loses any LVM functionality.  I haven't
tested that out yet.  I suspect it will.

The only other wierd thing was, when I restarted my "working" system,
eth0 was missing.  When I rebooted, it was there again.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).