Hello, Walter,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 03:00:52PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:05:34PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote

> > I also did "2> {system,world}.err".  system.err was empty.  I've included
> > world.err in the enclosed tarball.

>   From your error listing, it looks like lvm2, kde, and gnome (including
> the XFCE subset) require udev.  Ouch.

:-)  This cannot be the case.  Otherwise somebody would have said.  Hmm.
What we could do with is a "requires xdev", for x in (m u).  I've
forgotten what that's called in portage.

There are surely lots of packages marked "need udev" which don't really
need it at all.  I mean, are there any programs which need precisely
udev to work, as opposed to a populated /dev?

I mean, what does udev give me that mdev won't?  That's not really a
rhetorical question.  What potential benefits am I throwing away by
converting to mdev?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).