Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 120421 Dale wrote:
>>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>>> We can dream I guess.
>>
>> Yes&  why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
>> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
>> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??
>
> So that eth0 still works.  It can't know that what you have is a new
> mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.
>
> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware.  Without it,
> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
>
> Do a:
>
>   dmesg | grep -i firmware
>
> and check for firmware loading errors.

So that is what is wrong with my connection.  I been having this issue
for a while and it is getting on my nerves.  Is this fix OK even if you
don't build your drivers as modules?  I build everything into the
kernel.  I never did like modules much.

This goes to show, it doesn't hurt to read a thread even if you can't
help.

Thanks Nikos.  You helped two people.

Dale

:-)  :-)