On 23 April 2012, at 19:53, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> …
>> We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
>> sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.
>>
>> Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
>> Please ... pretty please ... :-)
>
> A mail-client worth its salt should be able to work around that ;-)
> Thunderbird, the superior mail client (<-- flame bait) has an option that
> says "Display HTML messages as plain text", so I never notice when someone
> posts HTML messages here (or anywhere else.)

My client - which is probably not so superior - has this option, but it can
only be applied globally, not to individual folders or senders.

Some senders - surely those with expensive design teams dedicated to the task -
ensure that their HTML messages add something useful over the plain text
version. Amazon's HTML emails show images of the product and I have no problem
with the text size they use. The HTML notification emails from eBay are
*fantastic*, showing images of actual items newly listed (in the last 24 hours)
by vendors that happen to meet my search criteria - this is a *very* useful way
of navigating potential bargains (and avoiding misleading adverts). There must
be 10,000 items per day listed on eBay, maybe 100,000, and I am notified of the
dozen or so that I may be interested in - with pictures right next to the
description.

So I have to either tolerate Peter's choice of font size, or I have to
sacrifice being able to read these other messages in their optimum format.

Now I appreciate that my choice of email client is not anyone else's fault, but
plain-text is the standard of mailing lists, and I think it's a reasonable
expectation that people conform to it (once their client's faux-pas has been
pointed out).

Stroller.