On Saturday 21 April 2012 16:21:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Do a:
>
>    dmesg | grep -i firmware
>
> and check for firmware loading errors.

I have what seems to be the same network hardware, so I did what you
said and duly found an error. I hadn't had any obvious network
performance problems but I emerged linux-firmware anyway.

After the next reboot (without any firmware loading errors) kmail
couldn't send any e-mails, complaining each time that it was unable to
create an SMTP packet (I think that's what it said).

So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.

Go figure.  :-)

--
Rgds
Peter