On 09/12/2012 09:49 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So about a month ago I decided to update my kernel to the dreaded 3.x
>> series. My old 2.6.x kernel ...
> FYI Linus Torvalds says there was no change between 2.6 and 3.0.  A quote:
>
> So what are the big changes?  NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we
> have the usual two thirds driver
> changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0 is
> *just* about renumbering, we are very much *not* doing a KDE-4 or a
> Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at
> all like that.
>
> You can read his entire letter here:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/29/204
>
> Chris
When I updated, I knew about changes in 3.2 that affected USB keyboard
wake in suspend (& mostly how it deals with acpi. Most of the stuff
moved to /sys/devices, the normal /proc/acpi/wakeup didn't really do
anything.) This affected many users over many distros.

It also changed how lirc works, although that happened around 2.6.38??,
so my htpc frontend is still on 2.6.32. When I tried updating that
machine to 3.0, nothing worked and I spent about a day troubleshooting
it before I put the image I took of it before I upgraded it back on.

Dan