Well, it turns out it was my PSU. The voltage drop on the 5V line was
4.08, but it would slowly warm up to 4.95V, then the PC would behave
normally. I opened the PSU and there was a ruptured cap.

I've replaced it and the problems are all gone.

I guess it was not really a coincidence that the failure happened after
a major update. This isn't the first time an `emerge -pvuDN world`
killed my computer. :-)

Dan