On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:25:09 -0600
Bruce Hill <da...@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 09:43:06AM -0700, Joseph wrote:
> > I have a document "letter" size in landscape mode and I'm trying to
> > print it with e-document viewer 4-pages per side and it will not
> > print.  Some documents prints OK but this one will not print it.
> >
> > Are there better programs in Linux for printing pdf files?
> >
> > pdfinfo Biol_321_2013_Lec_06_Biogeography_1_per.pdf
> > Title:          Microsoft PowerPoint - Biol 321 2013 Lec 06
> > Biogeography.pptx Author:         hproctor
> > Creator:        PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2
> > Producer:       Acrobat Distiller 7.0.5 (Windows)
> > CreationDate:   Wed Jan 23 17:43:54 2013
> > ModDate:        Wed Jan 23 17:43:54 2013
> > Tagged:         no
> > Pages:          18
> > Encrypted:      no
> > Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
> > File size:      961318 bytes
> > Optimized:      yes
> > PDF version:    1.4
>
> lp still does a good job for me:
>
> mingdao@workstation ~ $ lpstat -a
> Officejet_Pro_8500_A910 accepting requests since Wed 23 Jan 2013
> 02:52:15 PM CST mingdao@workstation ~ $ lp -d Officejet_Pro_8500_A910
> -o scaling=75 HOW-TO/apcupsd.pdf request id is
> Officejet_Pro_8500_A910-19 (1 file(s))
>
> Bruce

I haven't printed anything in a long time, but:

CUPS drivers make all the difference. I used to pretty much get
pathetic results using whatever was TheOfficialDriverOfTheDay for a
given printer, and would get amazingly successful results using good
old vanilla postscript or Generic PCL5/6 drivers. Go figure.

There was a time the company went through just about every printer
manufacturer in the business in 6 months trying to find a printer that
actually worked (for sane values of work). In each case the official
CUPS driver simply would not offer double-sided or shrink 2 pages onto 1
mode for *ANY* model. Postscript and generic PCL always worked every
single time.

/me baffled

--
Alan McKinnon