2013/2/1 Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>

> On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:07:24 +0100, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>
> > What about not using the local overlay and simply do emerge --nodeps
> > firefox and see what happens? I know, crude.... but simple :)
>
> Because every emerge @world will want to install ALSA.
>
> You may find it will not compile without alsa-lib being present, you could
> try moving the dep from RDEPEND to DEPEND, then you can remove alsa-lib
> once the emerge has completed.
>
> BTW, /var/lib/layman is for layman-managed overlays, local overlays are
> best kept separate.

I understand that, but Philip wrote that he wanted to find out if he could
compile ff without alsa-lib beeing present. To just test this case, emerge
--nodeps ff is perfect. If he finds out that ff would infact compile
without alsa-lib, he could open a bug rebort at b.g.o to make alsa-lib
optional. (or for that matter, create a patched ebuild in his local overlay)