Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> Which is why I think you shouldn't try to work around portage. It
>>> provides a clean way of doing this, overlays, use them.
>
>> Then you have to update those too. As I said, either way in the long
>> term, you have to work at overriding portage defaults.
>
> But an overlay is working with portage, the other options are trying to
> trick it.

I'm not saying it is.  I'm saying that the OP would then have to
maintain the overlay which requires work.  Depending on his skills, he
may not REALLY want to do that.

>> Both ways will
>> give the same result, both ways require work. The best thing is what I
>> mentioned and someone else mentioned, talk to the dev and ask if it can
>> be a option instead of a requirement. That would fix the whole thing
>> maybe even for others too.
>
> Agreed, we don't even know if it is possible to compile Firefox without
> alsa-lib. However, devs help those who help themselves, providing a
> modified ebuild that works, even partially, is more likely to get a
> resolution in the tree.
>
> The other option is to file a bug. Why is alsa in IUSE if the ebuild
> depends on alsa-lib either way?

That's what I would do too.  Why does Firefox really need sound to
compile?  I go to a LOT of sites that don't use sound and even those
that do need it, I generally keep things muted anyway.  I hate clicking
on a link in a email so that it can load while I read another email then
all of a sudden my speakers start blasting at a fire truck siren volume
level.  Then I have to switch desktops, figure out which tab it is that
has the sound.  Muting is always best for me.  I hate autoplay too.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!