130201 Michael Hampicke wrote:
> What about not using the local overlay
> and simply do 'emerge --nodeps firefox' and see what happens?
> Philip wants to find out if he can compile FF without alsa-lib.
> To just test this case, 'emerge --nodeps ff' is perfect.
> If he finds out that ff would infact compile without alsa-lib,
> he could open a bug rebort at b.g.o to make alsa-lib optional
> or for that matter, create a patched ebuild in his local overlay.

I did submit Bug 454330 with the result you can see :
it looks as if the real problem is upstream
& that the Gentoo developer had a hard time getting FF 17 to stabilise.
I am not satisfied, but need to offer some effort of my own
before I can reasonably re-open the bug or submit a bug to FF itself.

I do feel very strongly that Gentoo should not force sound on anyone
& that the issue is basic, not some personal preference.
KDE requires a hook for sound, but not sound software itself,
so users can compile 'USE="gstreamer" --nodeps media-sound/phonon',
after which Kdelibs will emerge successfully.
That's what's needed for Firefox.

Thanks for all the replies : I will explore further & report back.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca