On 04/08/13 04:36, Stroller wrote:

The new naming scheme, however, is much less intuitive. Where originally I just
immediately use eth0, now I have to enumerate the monikers first, because even
between servers of the same model (let's say, HP's DL360 G7), the PCI
attachment point might differ.

I agree. However, attempts to solve this in kernel (I think *several* of them),
which would have allowed the eth0, ethX namespaces to be retained, were
rejected. See [3].

I believe that HP shared involvement in this - I think they collaborated with
Dell on how the BIOS would declare the NICs in a way that would be available to
the kernel.

Stroller.

Well, if HP had an involvement in it, I'm not surprised we got screw-up with
this naming; sarcasm.
If they could only put/assign a "chip/serial number" and ask us to pay the way
they do with their printer cartridges they would do it :-/

If the boys with the servers, with more than two networks cards wants to have consistent naming they should have made it optional and not push this "new name crap" on everybody.
--
Joseph