On 6 April 2013, at 16:57, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Please excuse me, I am running back and forth from the servers and
>> typing the error message here. Did our configuration get switched to
>> IP6? These are our DB servers and why me!!! Why ME!!!!!
>
> No, it's not just you, it's happened to pretty much everybody.  udev-200
> now renames eth0, eth1, .... to something else, dependent upon
> complicated rules.  In my case eth0 has become p6p1, though many people
> seem to have got longer names.

> Yes, it's a pain in the backside.

The irony of it is that AIUI these changes were occasioned because the kernel
devs refused to make changes which might renumber the network ports for a very
small number of users (who were running, at the time, the very latest
generation of Dell or HP servers, less than 6 months old).

I believe Linus himself was involved and he said "no, no, no! we cannot make
changes which will break things!"

Stroller.