On 04/07/13 04:06, Stroller wrote:

On 6 April 2013, at 16:57, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Please excuse me, I am running back and forth from the servers and
typing the error message here. Did our configuration get switched to
IP6? These are our DB servers and why me!!! Why ME!!!!!

No, it's not just you, it's happened to pretty much everybody.  udev-200
now renames eth0, eth1, .... to something else, dependent upon
complicated rules.  In my case eth0 has become p6p1, though many people
seem to have got longer names.

Yes, it's a pain in the backside.

The irony of it is that AIUI these changes were occasioned because the kernel
devs refused to make changes which might renumber the network ports for a very
small number of users (who were running, at the time, the very latest
generation of Dell or HP servers, less than 6 months old).

I believe Linus himself was involved and he said "no, no, no! we cannot make changes
which will break things!"

Stroller.

Are these new udev rules going across all Linux distros or this is something specific to Gentoo?
--
Joseph