On Apr 21, 2013 4:51 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> On Sat, April 20, 2013 18:22, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > On Apr 20, 2013 10:01 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for the responses so far...
> >>
> >> Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
> > for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
> > issues/questions
> > apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not change anything)?
> >>
> >> If there are none, I'm curious what others prefer.
> >>
> >> I've been using reiserfs on my old mail server since it was first set
up
> > (over 8 years ago). I have had no issues with it whatsoever, and even
had
> > one scare with a bad UPS causing the system to experienc an unclean
> > shutdown - but it came back up, auto fsck'd, and there was no 'apparent'
> > data loss (this was a very long time ago, so if there had been any
serious
> > problems, I'd have known about it long go).
> >>
> >> I've been considering using XFS, but have never used it before.
> >>
> >> So, anyway, opinions are welcome...
> >>
> >> Thanks again
> >>
> >> Charles
> >>

> > Reiterating what others have said, in a virtualized environment, it's
how
> > you build the underlying storage that will have the greatest effect on
> > performance.
> >
> > Just an illustration: in my current employment, we have a very heavily
> > used
> > database (SQL Server). To ensure good performance, I dedicated a RAID
> > array
> > of 8 drives (15k RPM each), ensure that the space allocation is 'thick'
> > not
> > 'thin', and dedicate the whole RAID array to just that one VM.
Performance
> > went through the roof with that one... especially since it was
originally
> > physical server running on top of 4 x 7200 RPM drives ;-)
> >
> > If you have the budget, you really should invest in a SAN Storage
solution
> > that can provide "tiered storage", in which frequently used blocks will
be
> > 'cached' in SSD, while less frequently used blocks are migrated first to
> > slower SAS drives, and later on (if 'cold') to even slower SATA drives.
>
> 4-tier sounds nicer: 1 TB in high speed RAM for the high-speed layer, with
> dedicated UPS to ensure this is backed up to disk on shutdown.

Indeed! But 1 TB is kind of overkill, if you ask me... :-D

VMware and XenServer can 'talk' with some Storage controllers, where they
conspire in the background to provide 'victim cache' on the virtualization
host. Not sure about Hyper-V.

I myself had had good experience relying on EMC VNX's internal 8 GB cache;
apparently the workload is not high enough to stress the system.

Rgds,