On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 02:20:08 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > No it wouldn't - DST makes it darker in the morning. When I was about
> > 11, the government experimented with using BST all year round. One of
> > the reasons given for not doing it was that kids would have to go to
> > school in the dark.
>
> ... and the children's accident rate in Scotland shot up.

They have re-examined the data and found that that was not necessarily
true. While the accident rate in the morning did go up, the afternoon
rate went down by more, because drivers are more alert in the morning so
cope with the darkness better.

It wasn't only Scotland, in fact they aren't affected that much anyway. I
worked in Dundee one December and it was dark until almost 10am, without
DST. When they trialled winter DST, I was going to school in the dark in
London.

> And what is this idea of saving daylight? Only an American could
> conceive of such a nonsense (I hope).

It was the Germans, during WW1, quickly copied by Britain. The idea was
to improve the productivity of the factories. And you are saving
daylight, you are saving up an hour of daylight that you would otherwise
sleep through and spending it at a more suitable time a few hours later.

No one suggested a Daylight Bank :-O

--
Neil Bothwick

Mouse: (n.) an input device used by management to force computer users to
       keep at least a part of their desks clean.