Am 28.09.2013 17:06, schrieb Dale:
> Michael Hampicke wrote:
>>>
>>> Because that was the RECOMMENDED WAY IN THE GENTOO HANDBOOK when I first
>>> set this system up many years ago.
>>>

>> Where did you read that? According to the 2004 handbook the default
>> partition scheme was:
>>
>> Partition    Filesystem    Size    Description
>> /dev/hda1    ext2    32M    Boot partition
>> /dev/hda2    (swap)    512M    Swap partition
>> /dev/hda3    ext3    Rest of the disk    Root partition
>>

> http://web.archive.org/web/20040419042803/http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
>>

> I guess I got mine from the handbook back in early 2003.  That is when I
> did my first install.

This is the default partition scheme from 2001 according to the handbook :-)

Partition       Size    Type
boot partition, containing kernel(s) and boot information       ~100
Megabytes       ReiserFS recommended, ext2 ok
root partition, containing main filesystem (/usr, /home, etc)   >=1.5
Gigabytes       ReiserFS recommended, ext2 ok
swap partition (no longer a 128 Megabyte limit) >=128 Megabytes Linux swap

No seperate /usr either

> Also, as I stated, I have / and /boot on regular partitions and
> everything else on LVM.  Care to guess why I don't have / on a LVM too?
> Yep, to avoid the init thingy.  I don't have /boot on LVM because grub
> didn't support it.

I know that you want the avoid an initramfs given your experience from
mandrake lot's of years ago. The solution now is to merge /usr to / or
risk that one day your system won't boot.

I know that some changes are hard to overcome, but that does not mean
you can look away :-)