2013/12/2 William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au>

> You are looking far too deep ....
>

> just rsync -avP to /newusr

+1
I have done this more or less the same way

> reboot to livecd
>
> rsync again with --delete to update ... takes a only few seconds this
> time - minimal downtime :)
> mv /usr /oldusr
> mv /newusr /usr
> reboot

Let's make this thread more interesting, would it be possible to do
this without a reboot? ie: going single user mode, kill anything that
might still be running from usr,  umount /usr, mount it to /mnt, rsync
-avP to usr, going again into runlevel 3 or 5.
Obviously not possible if running systemd.

> The --numeric-ids is a good idea but I've made my systems consistent
> with the standard gentoo id's so that's no longer a problem.
>
> Ive done this many times over the years, and to the system I am writing
> this on many times (moving to lvm2, restoring from backups after disk
> failures, restoring from backups after user failure - rm -rf /usr !)
>
> If you need to practice, run up a vm and test/destroy :)
>
> You have got the disk space, so if you have a backup its reversible so
> don't be a wimp :)
>
> BillK
>

> On 03/12/13 05:36, Mick wrote:

> >> Right... poison pointed this out...
> >>
> >> This is why I asked for help about the arguments.
> >>
> >> I honestly don't care about superflous/unnecessary arguments, I just
> >> want to make sure I use at least the ones needed for this to work.
> >>
> >> Thanks...
> >
> > The comment about --numeric-ids that Thanasis made is valid.  I messed up
> > some
> > fs of mine last time I used rsync, when I wasn't paying much attention!  I
> > made a mental note to always use it in the future.  On the other hand, if
> > you're not that comfortable with it, a quick trial run with a test
> > filesystem
> > will offer some assurance that your chosen command and options will work as
> > you intended.  BTW, you do not *have* to use rsync:
> >
> >   cp -a
> >
> > will do the same.
> >
> >   su -
> >   cd /old_usr
> >   tar --one-file-system -cf . | (cd /new_usr ; tar -xvpf - )
> >
> > will also do the same.
> >
> > Finally, star -copy is my favourite faster alternative to copying
> > directories,
> > inc. respecting any acl's and the like if you specify it in the options:
> >
> >   su -
> >   star -copy <options> -C /old_usr . /new_usr
> >
> > Then you can also add -diff to see if any file was not copied correctly (use
> > star diffopts=!<option> to exclude things like ctime, or you'll drown in the
> > noise of the output).
> >

> > Speaking from experience I suggest that you do not blast your old /usr away
> > until you have booted with /usr mounted in the new location and have
> > verified
> > that ownership and access rights are as you expected.

PD: sorry if my english is not so good