On Wednesday 04 Dec 2013 07:28:18 Tanstaafl wrote:

> I've never used the -x option with cp... what exactly is meant by 'stay
> on same filesystem’?Should

"Stay on same filesystem" is for the case in which you have another partition
mounted somewhere in the tree below the current working directory. It means
that you want to omit everything in that second file system. If you haven’t any
such complication you don’t need to specify -x.

For instance, I have separate partitions for /usr/portage and
/usr/portage/packages. If I wanted to cp everything in portage but not in
packages I’d specify -x.

> I use this seeing as current /usr is reiserfs on LVM, and / is ext3 on
> simple partition - ie, *not* the 'same filesystem’?

Doesn’t matter. The type of file system is not visible to the copying program:
to it, a file is a file is a file. Well, for present purposes anyway. I think
you
can interpret file-system as identical to partition here.

> ... I imagine I could use the cp command first on the live system to ‘prime’
> it, then use the rsync command after booting to the liveCD to quickly confirm
> it - but if there were no issues during the initial cp, and nothing changes
> in between, there shouldn't really be any difference to copy anyway?

Indeed. I hope you don’t have experience of cp failing to copy what it should.

> Sorry for all the questions, I promise this will be the last one on this
> subject...

It’s how we learn, so don’t worry about it.   :-)

--
Regards
Peter