On 02/07/2014 04:43 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:25 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2014 02:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>> Your seat seems to be the owner of both the power buttons and USB
>>> devices, so you should not be asked for a password when powering down
>>> the machine (unless another user or root is logged in, for example by
>>> ssh), nor when using a USB stick.
>>>
>>> I repeat my question (if you already answered I apologize), do you
>>> have systemd emerged with the policykit USE flag?
>>
>> Well, I know more now but understand less :)  I recompiled both systemd
>> and polkit and they both have the correct useflags.
>>
>> After rebooting I looked at /run/systemd/seesions/1 and I'm now "ACTIVE".
>>
>> But next I startx (into xfce4) and look again:
>>
>> $cat /run/systemd/sessions/1
>> # This is private data. Do not parse.
>> UID=1001
>> USER=wa1ter
>> ACTIVE=0    <=================== not active

> This is a known problem (or at least I heard something similar
> before). You start your session when you log in, but then with startx,
> that is lost in some cases because, technically, a VT session is
> different from a X11 session (Wayland will take care of this, and many
> other things). When you start your DE with gdm or lightdm, this
> doesn't happen, because they talk to systemd (logind, actually) so
> your session gets transferred to the X11 one. Supposedly, the Xfce
> session manager (via startxfce4) has support for this, but only if
> compiled with --enable-systemd, which is in turn supported by our
> ebuilds.
>
> So, a couple of questions:
>
>   • Do you compiled xfce4-session with the systemd USE flag?
>   • What do you have in $HOME/.xinitrc? I *think* it should just be
> "exec startxfce4", if you used the systemd USE flag.

#eix xfce4-session
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-session
     Available versions:  4.10.0-r1 4.10.1 {consolekit debug gnome-keyring
policykit systemd udev +xscreensaver}
     Installed versions:  4.10.1(08:17:51 AM 01/11/2014)(systemd udev -debug
-xscreensaver)
     Homepage:            http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/start

$grep xfce .xinitrc
exec startxfce4

I follow several major linux distros as VirtualBox guests, and the only one
that doesn't force the use of a display manager is arch linux, so I use
startx on arch and I still see ACTIVE=1 in gnome3, cinnamon, etc.

I'll try to debug this over the weekend when I'm more awake :)

Thanks Canek.