On 06/04/2014 03:17 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 04/06/14 20:11, Dutch Ingraham wrote:

>>> Thanks - that fixed it for me:
>>>
>>> # emerge -C xfce-base/xfce4-session xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager
>>> xfce-extra/xfce4-systemload-plugin
>>> # emerge -uND xfce-base/xfce4-meta xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager
>>> xfce-extra/xfce4-systemload-plugin
>>>

>>> Greetings
>>> Daniel
>>>
>> Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me.  So let me re-cap:  I have
>>
>> 4. masked virtual/udev-208-r2; that has not worked.
>
> First, remove that mask. Masking it will certainly cause more blockers,
> than solve them.
>
>> [ebuild  N    ~] mate-extra/mate-power-manager-1.6.3::mate-overlay
>> USE="applet policykit -gnome-keyring -man {-test}" 0 kB
>> [ebuild  N    ~] mate-base/mate-session-manager-1.6.1-r1::mate-overlay
>> USE="ipv6 -debug -systemd" 0 kB
>>

> see "::mate-overlay", it's presumably broken or outdated. stop using the
> overlay and use MATE from Portage instead.
> or you can mask the packages from overlay, the syntax is like:
>
> /etc/portage/package.mask
>
> mate-extra/mate-power-manager::mate-overlay
> mate-base/mate-session-manager::mate-overlay
>
> - Samuli

Thanks everybody for your help.  I've made the further suggested
changes, but I remain with the three hard blocks.

I've now spent about 7 hours over the last two days on this issue (about
2x the fresh install time), when all I wanted to do was a routine
update.  I've reworked a large part of my system, adding a new
package.mask file and populating it with six packages.

I suppose its now time for an uninstall.  Kind of disappointing; we are
told Gentoo is about choices, and in fact that's true.  I made the
choice to use a pure openRC system.  The last 7 hours of free time,
though, was spent trying, and ultimately failing, to correct a problem
not chosen, not wanted, and not invited.

The sine qua non is unarguably systemd.  Even though my choice was to
not deploy it, apparently it takes a significant time commitment and/or
developer-level knowledge to choose to not use it.  Quite the inelegant
end to my once-trusty OS.