On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Douglas J Hunley <doug.hun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're going to want to cron a 'scrub' and have it email you. There's no
> background daemon that I'm aware of to handle this. ZFS just introduced
> 'zed' and it would be nice if BTRFS would do the same

Actually, I think that for serious failures smartd will take care of it.

I was reading the btrfs list archives and apparently btrfs doesn't
make as much as a whisper when a drive fails.  It just keeps on going.

Now, the keeps on going part I'm fine with, but you'd think that
operating in a degraded mode would trigger some kind of message.

Granted, it isn't 100% done yet, either.  In fact, if your replace the
failed drive you have to manually force a re-balance or it will just
continue to operate degraded.

Rich