Hello,

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Dale wrote:
>thegeezer wrote:
>> On 06/25/2014 08:49 AM, Dale wrote:
>>> Device Model:     ST3000DM001-9YN166

I have (had sort of) the same disc, with the same FW.

>>> see the following Seagate web pages:
>>> http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207931en
>>> http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651en
>> interesting - not seen that before might be worth a nose
>
>I was thinking the same thing myself.  How does it know there is a
>update was another question I had.

Those FW-Updates do _NOT_ apply to FW-Version 9YN166. From what I
found, you'd brick the drive. The smartctl DB does not take the
FW-version into account, just the model, to display above notice.

>>>   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   079   060   030    Pre-fail
>>> Always       -       99909120
>>>   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   082   082   000    Old_age
>>> Always       -       16379
>> almost two years of power on time

looks familiar

  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always
       915
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   072   060   030    Pre-fail  Always
       19309568
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   088   088   000    Old_age   Always
       11351

[..]
>>> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age
>>> Always       -       104
>> 197
>> this says there are 104 pending sectors i.e. bad blocks on the drive
>> that have not been reallocatd yet
>
>Wonder why it hasn't?  Isn't it supposed to do that sort of thing itself?

>>> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age
>>> Offline      -       104
>> this says it was not able to reallocate. which is odd because of the
>> entry 5 being zero
>
>Uh oh.

Yeah. Oh, and I had a "clean" smart until a few days ago, luckily I
alread had a WD Red (WD40EFRX) drive waiting when this attrib jumped
from 0 to:

  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   087   087   036    Pre-fail  Always
       17688

Other Seagates (a few 1.5T drives) have also made me trouble, the 2T
Samsung already relabeled and sold as a Seagate but with Samsung in
the FW though is still ok.

[..]
>I ordered a drive.  It should be here tomorrow.  In the meantime, I
>shutdown and re-seated all the cables, power too. I got the test running
>again but results is a few hours off yet.  It did pass the short test
>tho.  I'm not sure that it means much.

Good. Do not use dd, it WILL fail at the first error. Use gnu ddrescue
or dd_rescue to grab an image. I used mc to copy via filesystem, eg.
'rsync -auxlPRAXSHD /foo/ /bar/' is fine too. Oh, and I hope you
didn't buy a Seagate again ;)

-dnh

--
The sigmonster ate my sig and all I got was this stupid tagline.