On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> so without looking that drive up - you are using a desktop part for
> non-stop setup?

Honestly, I think it makes far more sense to build a fault-tolerant
setup than to try to avoid faults by spending more on the parts.  I've
only run desktop hard drives on my 24x7 RAID.  If they die I replace
them under warranty - I've yet to have one die outside of warranty,
and I'm usually upgrading for size by that timeframe anyway, and I can
use the old drives for storage.

By all means get better-grade components, but I wouldn't use that as
an excuse for not having backups of some kind.  ALL hard drives WILL
fail, it is just a matter of when.  ANY hard drive can fail the day
after you buy it, a month after you buy it, and so on, though
obviously the probability of a particular drive failing at any point
in time may vary by what you pay for it.

I'd buy a more expensive drive only if the TCO is actually lower.  I'd
engineer any system to accept the failure of at least one drive, and
for any data I actually cared about I'd engineer the system to resist
fire, the rm star, and so on.

Rich