Hi,

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:36:25 +0100 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 23.12.2014 um 16:20 schrieb Andrew Savchenko:
[...]
> > We used it about a year ago for our infrastructure (backup and live
> > sync of HA systems), obviously both servers and clients were used,
> > both on Gentoo. We stopped this because of numerous kernel panics,
> > not to mention that it was quite slow even after tuning. So we
> > switch to another solution for data sync and backups: clsync. (It
> > was developed from scratch for our needs, this is not a
> > filesystem, but may be considered as more powerful alternative to
> > lsyncd.)
> >
> > Though this was a year ago or so. Your mileage may vary and it is
> > likely that during this year stability was improved. Ceph is very
> > promising by both design and capabilities.
>
> I agree!
>
> I expect that there were many changes over the time of a year ... they
> went from v0.72 (5th stable release) in Nov 2013 to v0.80 in May 2014
> (6th stable release) ... and v0.87 in Oct 2014 (7th ...)
>
> We get 0.80.7 in ~amd64 now ... I will see.
>
> Ad "slow": what kind of hardware did you use and how many nodes/osds?

We used 3 servers, where each server was both node and osd (that's
our hardware limitation). Each machine had hardware alike 2x
Xeon E5450, 16 GB and 2 Gbps network connectivity (via bonding of
two 1 Gbps interfaces).

We went through a lot of software and kernel tuning, this helped to
solve many issues, but not all of them: ceph nodes still got kernel
panics once in a while. This was unacceptable and we moved for
other approaches to our issues.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko