Am 24.12.2014 um 02:02 schrieb Andrew Savchenko:

>> Ad "slow": what kind of hardware did you use and how many nodes/osds?
>
> We used 3 servers, where each server was both node and osd (that's
> our hardware limitation). Each machine had hardware alike 2x
> Xeon E5450, 16 GB and 2 Gbps network connectivity (via bonding of
> two 1 Gbps interfaces).
>
> We went through a lot of software and kernel tuning, this helped to
> solve many issues, but not all of them: ceph nodes still got kernel
> panics once in a while. This was unacceptable and we moved for
> other approaches to our issues.

Hmm, that dampens my enthusiasm ;-)

I watched a presentation on youtube yesterday where they recommended one
SSD as journal per ~4 harddisks ... and 4-8 hard disks per OSD node
maximum (if I remember correctly). Plus ~1 GHz / 1 core of CPU per OSD
... as a rule of thumb. And 500 MB RAM per OSD ... that were the
recommendations in

http://youtu.be/C3lxGuAWEWU

-

Did you have the journal separated on SSDs?
I think that would make quite a difference both in performance and cost ;)

Do you remember the kernel version and ceph version?

How many disks / OSDs?

Sorry for being so curious ..

Thanks, Stefan